Terms & Conditions - Access Statement
Accessibility Statement for The Lakes Distillery, Cumbria
The Lakes Distillery welcomes all visitors and guests, including those with access needs. This statement aims to provide accurate and helpful information about our facilities and services.
The Lakes Distillery is in the heart of the Lake District by the beautiful Bassenthwaite Lake. It is a popular single malt whisky distillery and offers tours and experiences for visitors to learn about the distillation process of whisky, gin, and vodka. The visitor experience has five sections: a retail boutique, bistro, boardroom, the distillery and a converted farmhouse used as a whisky blending studio, tasting rooms and offices. The site is situated on a slight hill with a gradual approach. The car park is also on a hill, but there are options of steps or a ramp to access the entrance. A drop-off point is available beside the entrance on the road which visitors with access needs can use for dropping off and picking up. The site is fully accessible, with a lift for those with limited mobility to access the two levels of the distillery.
- For full details and maps of how to get to The Lakes Distillery, please visit lakesdistillery.com.
- You can also plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website.
- The nearest mainline railway station is Penrith 25 miles and a 30-minute drive away.
- Taxis and a bus service are available at the station; the X4 and X5 bus will take you directly to the distillery.
- The nearest bus stop is 50 metres from the main entrance and is called The Lakes Distillery.
- For visitors arriving from the west both the X4 and X5 bus travel from Workington and travel through Cockermouth and Embleton.
Car Parking and Arrival:
- The on-site car park has space for 90 cars, with two spaces designated with accessible parking closest to the distillery entrance.
- The car park is bod-paved, with a paved path leading to the main entrance.
- Although the car park is on a hill, there are steps or a paved ramp leading to the entrance of the distillery.
- The car park is free of charge.
Main Entrance, Reception, and Ticketing Area:
- The main entrance is situated on the ground floor with step-free access throughout. Tour guests can check in at the retail store on the left from the main entrance gates.
- Wheelchair loan is available on request. Due to health and safety electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters are not able to be taken through the distillery, and a manual wheelchair will be offered to any guests who require it.
- The area is well-lit with overhead lighting from fluorescent lights. The main entrance area is laid with cobbles and flagstone edging which provides some unevenness.
- The guided tour of the distillery takes visitors through the process of making spirits.
- The tour lasts for one hour and run hourly from 11 am to 5 pm daily.
- More involved whisky experiences are available at 11:30 and 14:30 daily.
- The tour is interactive, with a tour host leading guests through the buildings, the first of which is a room where the process of making The Lakes spirits is explained and a video is shown.
- Visual boards on the walls show the process of making the spirits, which your tour host will run through and explain.
- Guides will then walk visitors through the distillery, explaining exactly how we make The Lakes Distillery spirits. The visitors will then be taken through a recreation of the off-site maturation warehouses, where the guide will explain the maturation process and also show a video.
- Guests will finally be taken into the tasting rooms, where chairs and tables are provided for them to sit while given a tutored tasting of The Lakes single malt whisky, gin, and vodka.
- Guests who are driving are offered a ‘Driver’s Dram’ sample of their choice to take home, and fruit drinks are provided for children.
- Water is available for all guests in the tasting area.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access from the retail store entrance and courtyard area.
- There are three men's toilets, three women's toilets, and one accessible unisex toilet.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins, and a wide lightweight door is available on the accessible toilet, with vertical rails either side of the toilet.
- There is a colour contrast between critical surfaces, with brown/beige tiles and white basins and toilets.
Food and Beverage:
- The Bistro at the Distillery is situated on the ground floor and has step free access from the entrance, the lower part of the bistro also has a step free access from the courtyard.
- The entrance doors are 900mm / 35.5 ins wide.
- Tables in the restaurant and cafe are well spaced apart, with a clear height from the floor of 609mm/24ins, with upright chairs without arms and comfortable wall seats.
- Lighting in all areas is natural daylight with overhead lighting used.
- We cater to any dietary requirements and staff have extensive allergens training and can advise you on the current menu as it is offered.
- We use local products wherever possible within the bistro and have an excellent delicious menu which changes regularly.
- There is a luxury retail store on site with a wide range of products, including The Lakes Distillery spirits, glassware and branded merchandise. Other items include books and local products.
- There are two doors about five meters from the main entrance gates, they both have door open assist buttons.
- The shop is level throughout.
- A low-level desk & counter is provided.
- There is ample room within the shop for a large wheelchair.
- There is background music in the shop.
- The guest experience team can offer any assistance if required and are trained to do so.
Grounds and Gardens
- In the courtyard of the buildings there is an outdoor seating area for the bistro with tables which seat a total of 66 people
- There are also additional round tables situated on a sloped lawn next to the courtyard. The tables have block paving surround.
- There is a paved pathway which follows from the side of the courtyard around the back of the buildings, this leads on to a shingle walkway down to the river.
- This walkway provides a wide view you will have a great view of the River Derwent, the surrounding countryside and the friendly family of alpacas in the neighbouring field
The Whiskymaker’s House
- The Whiskymaker’s House is located across a bod-paved and shingle courtyard area at the top of the property.
- Access is via a paved path with a narrow left-hand turn halfway up the path, though this is suitable for wheelchairs.
- Alternative access is via the driveway located approximately 50 metres from the distillery entrance, which will bring you to the entrance to The Whiskymaker’s House
- Entrance is via a door into a small vestibule and then through an internal door into a carpeted area on the ground floor. The entrance doorway measures 1080mm/42.52 in wide, and the internal entrance door measures 910mm/35.8 in wide.
- Two tasting rooms are located on the ground floor and doorways measure 860mm/33.8 in wide
- Each room has a large table and chairs with room for wheelchairs.
- There is a single accessibility toilet located on the ground floor directly adjacent to the tasting rooms.
- Door measurements to access this bathroom are 860mm/33.8 in wide, and the toilet is 400mm/15.74 in high.
- Inside the bathroom the sink is 730mm/28.74 in high and the handrail 685mm/27in high.
Private Hire & Events
- In addition to the bistro, The Ruskin Room can be used for corporate and celebration events for an additional charge.
- Seating up to 32 guests, The Ruskin Room is a large room that has step-free access, and its own bathrooms.
- The Lakes Guest Experience team receive regular training that includes disability awareness training.
- A set of evacuation procedures is in place – in the unlikely event of an emergency the team will be on hand to assist guests with evacuation out of the building and to the designated congress points.
- A written copy of the tour script is available to those who may need it.
- Designated carers who are accompanying guests can join the tours and experiences free of charge, though no alcohol samples will be provided.
- Address: The Lakes Distillery, Bassenthwaite Lake, Setmurthy, Cumbria, CA 13 9SJ
- Telephone: 01768788850
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: lakesdistillery.com
- Grid Reference: NY196319
- Hours Of Operation:
- Tours: 11am – 5pm
- Retail Store: 10am - 6pm
- Bistro: 10am – 6pm
- Local Carers: email@example.com
- Local Accessible Taxi:
- Suzi's Taxi: Tel - 01768736007 Moblie - 07961589003
- Brian Rae Taxi : Mobile - 07968599241
- Local Public Transport: X4 + X5 bus from Workington - Penrith run directly past the distillery.