Access the Archives
You are invited to leaf through The Lakes Library, where a curated collection of our rarest and most sought-after single malt whiskies await.
Every Wed & Fri 2.30pm
Adults (18+) £100pp
Home of the 'World's Best Single Malt Whisky' 2022
Immerse yourself in the sights, sounds and smells of our working distillery, following the spirit’s journey to discover how every flavour possibility is achieved.
Embarking on a voyage of discovery through our state-of-the-art distillery, you will uncover the secrets behind design-led whiskymaking. Following the spirit’s journey under the guidance of a Lakes’ expert, we reveal a modern philosophy built on an obsession for flavour creation and fuelled through the art of élevage.
A deep dive into the DNA of The Lakes Single Malt offers insight into our forward-looking approach. A visit to The Whiskymaker’s House provides the rare opportunity to taste The Lakes’ New Make Spirit alongside a seasonally-changing selection of four of our most scarce and revered single malts.
Sharing stories about the composition and inspiration behind each whisky, currently (until 30 September), our expert will guide you through:
• The Whiskymaker’s Reserve No.4
• The Whiskymaker’s Editions, Bal Masque
• The Whiskymaker’s Editions, Volar
• The Quatrefoil Collection: Luck
|Explore||Exclusive access to The Lakes archive, where a curated collection of our most sought-after single malt whiskies await.|
|Taste||You'll be guided through a seasonally-changing selection of four of our most scarce and revered single malts, with a chance rare opportunity to sample our new make spirit.|
|Discover||Tickets include a complimentary voucher to save up to 20% in our distillery store. Extend your stay by joining us for lunch or afternoon tea. Book a table in the Bistro.|
- We highly recommend booking tours and tables at minimum 24hrs in advance.
- Walk-in visits are welcome, subject to availability.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before your tour with your order confirmation.
- Young people under the age of 18 are not permitted to Access the Archives.
- If you have babies and children under 10, they are welcome in the Bistro and to visit the Alpacaly Ever After herd who live on the distillery site. There is a Meet & Greet experience at 2.30 Fri-Mon (please check the Alpacaly website for details).
- The site is wheelchair friendly, please contact us to discuss your mobility requirements.
- Dogs on leads are allowed in the courtyard, garden and shop. Guide dogs are permitted on tours.
How to find us
From the A66: Turn off A66 at the north end of Bassenthwaite Lake onto B5291. At Ouse Bridge junction bear left (don't go over the bridge). Distillery is on the right after a few hundred metres.
From the A591: use the turning directly next to the Castle Inn onto the B5291. Carry on past Armathwaite Hall. Bear right after crossing the Ouse Bridge and the Distillery is on the right after a few hundred metres.
Google Maps: Type in 'Lakes Distillery, Setmurthy' and it will take you straight to the door.
"A must visit. Lovely small distillery that is fighting its way into a challenging market and producing great whisky from the Lake District."
"A whisky lover's paradise. Absolutely brilliant distillery tour and can highly recommend paying a bit more for one of the tasting options."
Best attraction in the North Lakes, if not all of the Lakes. Excellent tour of the distillery, superbly presented. The best day out of our holiday, will definitely visit again.
Tripadvisor, Dec 2022
Tripadvisor, Feb 2023
Tripadvisor, Jan 2023
1 of 3